Sunday, May 17, 2009

Virginia

I made it into a Pilot truck stop about 1/2 mile from where I deliver my first drop on Monday morning. In Colonial Heights, VA on the south side of Richmond. I started out from Sturbridge, MA around 4:30am yesterday.

I stopped in Milford, CT for fuel and then came on down I-95 through the Bronx on the Cross Bronx expressway. This is the main road through NYC and leads you to the infamous George Washington Bridge. Some days it has taken me up to one and a half hours to go the 3 or 4 miles across the Bronx, and across the bridge and into New Jersey. Yesterday morning, being a Saturday, I breezed right through. Still have to go reasonably slow though, or the pot holes will knock a wheel off. I must say that it is smoother through there than in years past though.

I have got to get me a transfer cable for my camera to download these pictures I have, maybe this next week sometime.

From NYC I came down the Jersey Turnpike the length of New Jersey, across the Deleware Memorial Bridge, across the 17 miles of Deleware and into Maryland. Stopped just inside Maryland and got me a $5 footlong at Subway using my driver's points at the Pilot. The points that they put on my Pilot card for fueling. They give you 1 point for each gallon of fuel purchased. You can then use the card to purchase things in their store. I usually let mine build up then start cashing them in for footlongs. I can half one and make 2 meals out of it.

Didn't want to stay there too long, because I needed to get on through Baltimore before the traffic got heavy going over to the Preakness. Went through downtown Baltimore around noon, through the McHenry tunnel, 40 miles to Washington, DC and around the loop on the east side and into Virginia. I got to Colonial Heights around 2:30pm with a driving time of 9 hours.

I will deliver my first drop here in the morning, then will drive to Macon, GA to drop my last part of load there on Tuesday afternoon. I did get to watch the Preakness. Mine That Bird almost did it. I thought it was interesting the kick he had to come from behind. He came within 3/4 length of catching the filly, and he was just a gelding. What was he going to do if he did catch her???

No comments:

Post a Comment