Friday, May 29, 2009

Long Week

Well, never intended to get this far behind on my blog. When made the last post I was expecting to be sitting for awhile, but they gave me a load to pick up the next morning in Granite City, IL, across the river from St. Louis. It was a Proctor & Gamble load going to a grocery warehouse in Albertville, AL and delivered on Memorial Day. Was a bit surprised by that, usually they are closed on holidays.

Once I delivered that on Monday morning, they gave me a load from Krannert, GA, near Rome, going to Newtown, CT. This was load of rolled paperboard out of International Paper. The rolls are about 3500 lbs a piece and had 13 of them on the truck. Had a fast trip to get there on Wednesday morning.

Once unloaded there they sent me over to Norwich, CT, all the way over on the other side of Connecticut, 88 miles away. It was a load of copper tubing. Expensive stuff. Had 6 pallets of this weighing about 7000 lbs a piece. They put 3 in the nose of the trailer and 3 in the rear so it will even out on the axels. The load went to a customer in Claremont, NC. I made it to Milford, CT around 1pm and was about out of hours for the day, since I had started out at 3am. There are few truck stops in Connecticut, and a lot of trucks looking to park. This one is the last before going through New York City going south. The trucks were lined up out on the street trying to get in. I bypassed them and went to a tiny truck stop next door and found a spot to park. This place was a dump next to the Pilot everyone was trying to get into next door, but I just wanted to go to bed.

I got up at 2am and drove to the Pilot, got my fuel and drove through NYC before traffic got bad. I made it down to Mount Airy, NC (Mayberry) and spent the night. Got up this morning and delivered 80 miles down the road. They then gave me a short load out of Kelloggs in Charlotte, NC going down to Augusta, GA. I picked this load up and delivered it at 3pm, and they gave me another load out of same place going to Missouri for a Monday delivery. Since I have to be in Marietta to take a safety class on Tuesday, I will have to drop the load in the morning in Marietta. I hope to get some short loads over the weekend to keep busy.

They had a Krystal hamburger place next door. Used to love those things when growing up, anyway stocked up on them for supper.

I

No comments:

Post a Comment