Thursday, May 21, 2009

Hello Wisconsin

Made my delivery at Colonial Heights, VA outside Richmond. I was told by dispatch that they opened at midnight Sunday night and you can deliver 24 hours up to Friday at midnight. Since I was parked just down the street I got up at midnight and drove around the block to the customer. Alas!!! They actually opened at 3pm on Sunday for the week, and there were 20 trucks in there. Eight in the docks and 8 waiting. I checked in and parked and waited. Waited. Waited some more. Seems at 1 am every time a truck would pull out of a dock they would stick one of their empty trailers in that dock for loading. They kept doing that until 8 am. I did not get into a dock door until 9am and did not leave the customer until 10:30am. Had been there 10 1/2 hours. Ended up with very little sleep and still had to get down close to Macon before taking my break so I could get to the other customer drop rest of the load, and still have hours to pick up another load.

I made it to Columbia, SC, which is about 6 1/2 hour drive in my truck. Remember my truck only goes 61 mph. Rough when all the southern states have speed limits of 70 mph. Hard not to get run over.

I slept a full 9 hours that night, a rarity for me. Left Columbia around 9 am and got to the customer one hour before my appointment. They put me right into a dock, and since I only had 5 pallets of beer for them, I was done in 15 minutes. One of the cases of Micolob Ultra slid off the top of the pallet and so had to sweep up the broken bottle. Got another load rather quickly picking up down the street from where I was in Macon going to Eau Claire, WI.

This worked out good, because it delivered anytime on Thursday up to midnight. This gave me time to drop by the Marietta terminal and get my truck serviced. They got me done Wednesday morning by 9am and I was off. I made it to Champaign, IL last night and now will go on up to Eau Claire, about 7 1/2 hours, and drop this load.

No comments:

Post a Comment