Saturday, May 9, 2009

Georgia

After taking my break on the customer's lot I sent in my ready to go message. They replied with a pretty much standard reply now, no freight at this time, check back in 4 to 6 hours.

So at 8am I moved to the nearest truck stop since I may be sitting for a while and that was 25 miles away. Around noon I got a load offer to pick up that was 2 blocks from where I had just delivered. I had to drive back to where I was, pick up the load and go right back by the truck stop I was sitting at, you just never know. It was a load from International Paper, bales of scrap cardboard, going to a recycling facility outside Cincinnati, OH. I had a delivery appointment of 4:30pm the next day. It was a very tight facility to get into. When you arrive you have to slide your tandems on your trailer all the way under your trailer so you can fit the long truck and trailer on their short scale.

**(The tandems or axles on the trailer will slide forward and backward to adjust your weight distribution of your load. You are allowed a maximum of 34,000 lbs on the dual tandem for your tractor and 34,000 lbs on the trailer. This leaves 12,000 lbs for your steering axle for a total of 80,000 lbs gross weight. You slide the tandems on the trailer to adjust the weight. This is called the "bridge law" which keeps the weight going across a bridge or road to a manageable amount to minimize tearing up the roads. If you slide the trailer tandems toward the tractor it puts more weight on the trailer and takes it off the tractor, slide them back it puts the weight on the tractor and off the trailer. You do this by locking your trailer brakes only and releasing your tractor brakes and thus sliding the trailer along the rail over the tandems of the trailer. There are pins that fit in holes under the frame of the trailer and the holes are normally 4" or 6" a part. If they are 4" apart each hole you move the pin will shift 225 lbs and is approximately 675 lbs per foot moved. Works great on newer trailers, but the older ones are so wore out it is sometimes impossible to pull the pins. I carry a special tool that can be attached to the lever so that when you jockey the trailer back and forth it will pull the pins for you, sometimes. This is how you adjust the weight on your trailer to be legal going down the road.)**

After unloading the load on Thursday afternoon, they shot me another load to pick up at noon on Friday in a Cincinnati suburb of Mariemont, OH going to Atlanta, GA. I will deliver the load in southwest Atlanta around noon Saturday.

1 comment:

  1. Eat some Zaxby's for us. I'll be eating it in 5 weeks!

    ReplyDelete