Friday, September 25, 2009

East To Denver

Drove into Portland, OR this morning to pick up my load. We had 2 other company trucks at the shipper when I arrived. The first one had just backed into the dock. I was in the shipping office when I heard a loud bang. I looked out and the trailer they were loading had broken in half. It must have had a cracked rail in the frame. They had loaded about half the load in and it snapped and the fork lift slid over to the right wall of the trailer. It was a fairly new trailer too. Glad it wasn't mine. That poor driver was going to have a long day with them trying to figure out how to get that stuff out of there.

I left and took a few pictures of Portland. The bridge is the I-5 bridge through town. Then the Columbia River Gorge headed east. When I got out to Pendleton, OR again and headed up Cabbage Hill I have several shots coming to the Hill. Up on top there is a rest area at Deadman's Pass. Part of the Oregon Trail. Got its name back in 1840s when a teamster was found dead from an Indian attack at that spot. There were also wagon ruts still in the woods, so I walked up into the woods to find them. The pics show the washout area where the wagons came through. You can tell by the areas being lower in that spot and wagon width. Interesting anyway. Also in the pictures are a few of Mt. Hood which is just east of Portland. On a clear day like today, you can see the peak from atop Cabbage Hill which is 150 miles away. Off to its north you can see Mt. St. Helens in Washington. Couple of years ago I came out this way in January and you could see both peaks from atop Cabbage shining bright and covered in snow.

I made it to Boise, ID for the night and will probably stop in Ogden, UT tomorrow afternoon. Then Denver Sunday morning. I don't deliver until 7pm Monday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment