Sunday, August 30, 2009

Not So Fast

Yeah, right pick up the load Saturday morning and deliver by 6pm that afternoon. Well I pulled into the shipper at 50 minutes before my appointment time of noon. There are 4 more of our trucks sitting there, they all had the same appointment time as I did and all going to the same place in Solon, OH, and no one was getting loaded. Turns out the machine broke down that night and they didn't get it up and running again until that morning. So all these rolls of paper hadn't been made yet. The rolls are 6' in diameter and about 4' of depth. They weigh approximately 4,500# each and they load 9 rolls on each truck. But no rolls no load. They took down all our cell phone numbers and then sent us down the street to their drop yard to wait. It was 7pm that night before I got loaded.

Once I pulled out of the dock I had to stop to help one of our drivers close the door on his trailer. He had loaded just ahead of me and when he pulled out from the dock he had to squeeze between a truck in a dock beside him and a railroad tanker sitting on the left side of him. His doors were open and latched to the side of the trailer and he caught his driver side trailer door on the rail car. The door is held on by 5 hinges, and he broke all of them but the very top one, and it was hanging by the one hinge. We had to gently lift and pull around in place to get it latched shut. He was supposed to go by a shop in Ft Wayne, IN to get it fixed.

I didn't deliver my load until 10am this morning and they gave me a load that picks up late tonight and I deliver part of load in West Virginia on Tuesday morning and the other half of load in Lexington, KY on Wednesday morning. At least get out of Ohio even if it is a short load.

No comments:

Post a Comment