Tuesday, August 4, 2009

North to Nebraska

I was able to drop the load on Monday instead of waiting until Tuesday, so I got an extra day of work in. They gave me a load out of Durant, OK going up to Omaha, NE. It is a load from Big Lots delivering to a couple of their stores there.

I got into Kansas and made it about halfway through before looking for a place to stop for the night. I had my trip planned to stop in a small town with a truck stop that showed in my truck stop directory to have parking for up to 85 trucks. I had just enough hours to get there and when I rolled into this little farming town the truck stop had room for exactly 5 trucks, and since there were 5 bull haulers setting there already and parked crooked to boot, I had no place to park.

This was running through Kansas on a two lane highway, and I wasn't familiar with it so I got in a bad deal. There were only 3 truck stops on the route at all, and had now passed the second one. I had no choice but to continue north to where there was a larger truck stop that I was familiar with, but it was going to stretch my hours razor thin getting there. Luckily about 7 miles north of this small town I came to a small rest area with enough room for about 3 trucks, so I got a parking place for the night without running my hours out.

I got up this morning and made it up to Council Bluffs, IA, which is across the river from Omaha. Got a shower and a meal and now waiting until morning to go into town to make my drops.

No comments:

Post a Comment