Saturday, April 11, 2009

Saturday in Atlanta

Just got to read Eric's blog this afternoon, and found out Jamie flew out of here this morning going back to China. I'm sitting about 5 miles from the airport. Still haven't met that gal.

I only had to wait about 3 hours Friday for something to do. They sent me down the road from where I was sitting in Jackson, MS and I dropped my empty trailer at a customer. They didn't have enough of them there to load. I then ran down 60 miles south on I-55 to a Walmart DC to pick up another empty. They then gave me a load to pickup over in Meridian, MS. So back up 55 through Jackson and on I-20 over to Meridian. It had an 11pm loading appointment, and here it was 1pm when I got there. Dispatch sent me a message to go ahead into customer because they also needed an empty trailer to load. When I got there they loaded my load on the trailer I had so I lucked out. Instead of waiting until 11pm to pick up the load I was gone from customer at 3pm. I made it up to Birmingham, AL for the night.

Woke up at 4am this morning and drove over to Georgia state line, where I saw a beautiful sunrise. One of the pleasures of my job are beautiful sunrises. The best ones are usually out west, but anywhere you have some clouds and mountains in background works. I don't always get a photo of them because too dangerous. When I can and no one around me I try to snap a quick shot.

I stopped long enough at Love's Truck Stop in Waco, GA to shower, and then drove on over to Atlanta. Where I am going has a Pilot Truck Stop about 1/2 mile from there. I don't deliver until 11pm Sunday night so I have a day and a half to wait. Being the only truck stop on the SE side of Atlanta to speak of, and having only about room for 60 or so trucks, getting a parking place on Saturday morning was going to be real gamble. If I didn't find one I would have to go 10 to 20 miles to find another place to hopefully find a spot.

I timed myself in to the truck stop around 10am and figured that would be about the time trucks would be leaving out. Sure enough the lot was crammed full. I made one pass through and nothing, I circled out on the street and back into lot behind another truck that got in there ahead of me. Truck pulled out and he got the spot. I circled again, guy pulled out and a pickup came barreling up and blocked the spot. He had some empty pallets he wanted to load into a trailer back there, I was about to tap him on the head with my finger when a truck pulled out behind me, so I backed up and got that spot instead. Twenty paces closer to the bathroom.

Now I set here until about 1030pm Sunday night, then drive down to customer and get my toilet paper unloaded. Another lumper to pay off.

Hope you all make it to a sunrise service somewhere in the morning. I will probably be in the parking lot. Everyone have a Glorious and Happy Easter.

CHRIST OUR LORD HAS RISEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment