Thursday, March 19, 2009

Rochester, NY

Delivered my load in Rochester, NY this morning at 10 am. One of the things of doing this and on every load is preplanning. When I left New York on Tuesday I had to keep the door shut and move it to get down past Cleveland, OH before rush hour.

When I fuel at different truck stops, Pilot's for example, they give you a free shower that is good for 5 days. Since they want $10 if you don't have one, I try to use them only when I have free ones. Needless to say I don't get a shower every day. That came into play on this trip because as bad as needed a shower couldn't stop until got the other side of Cleveland. If I did it would have been an extra half to full hour in traffic. As was I got through just as it was getting heavy. Instead of stopping on north side of Cleveland, I stopped at one south of there and was through the traffic.

On the return trip, coming back to Rochester, I had to plan my way through Cleveland, Erie, PA and then Buffalo, NY and still make it to customer as quickly as I could. So I left truck stop at 415 am EDT, got around Cleveland, hit Erie at 7 am, just before it got heavy, and then got to Buffalo at 830 am as it finished up. Did not slow down for traffic anywhere. Made it to the customer at 10am, unloaded and back on the dispatch board. Since we are dispatched first in first out, the sooner you get on the board the better. As is there's no freight and will be sitting until tomorrow.

Since there is absolutely no truck stops in Rochester, you have to travel a bit to find a place to park. Had small truck stop in Bergen, NY 20 miles away, and got a spot.

2 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying your blog. Like many others, I know next to nothing about trucking or how things get from farm to freezer, (or production to pantry, etc) It's an interesting read.

    I was particularly interested to learn of the free shower that's good for 5 days. That's an amazing breakthrough! Just think of the water that could be saved. It must use poly-coat rinse. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO, Don't think that was what I meant, but yours is funnier.

    ReplyDelete