Saturday, July 17, 2010

Up the Pipe

I delivered to General Mills and then got another load out of the General Mills warehouse 15 miles east of there going up to Indian Trails, NC to a grocery warehouse there. I delivered it at 6 pm the next afternoon. Liked this grocery warehouse, they had me in and unloaded in 30 minutes. No lumper to mess with, just did their job. Wow, an anomaly.

Once unloaded they gave me a load sitting on their drop lot in Greensboro, NC 110 miles away that needed to deliver to York, PA asap. I still had to take a break before delivering it, so I only got up into southern Virginia before I went ahead and took a break. I was only picking up 5 hours to work with at midnight and only had 4 hours left for that day, so I couldn't work more than 9 hours total over 2 days anyway.

Friday morning I got up and drove back road up to Richmond, VA and jumped on I-95 going up to north of Baltimore. I call it the "pipe", running up 95 through Richmond, DC and Baltimore all in about 3 or 4 hours. Depends on severity of traffic. Going into DC there was a 30 mile backup going south, glad I was going north. It was only noon on Friday, where all them people were going was beyond me. Got around DC and headed up the 30 miles to Baltimore and there was an accident on the south side and another 4 mile backup, glad I was going north.

Made it up to York about 2:30 pm and dropped the load and was finally given one out of the Church & Dwight facility that I had just dropped in going to the Chicago area. My directions said it was not supposed to be ready until 9 am on Saturday which means I had to leave and there was no place for me to park for 30 miles. On a hunch I stopped by shipping office and found out they had just finished loading the load and it was ready to go. She had just brought in the paperwork for it, or dead tree. There were over 50 pages in the bill of lading. There were that many different products on the truck and it had 7 different P.O.'s.

I got out of there with it and it allowed me to get about a 140 miles up the road. I shut down for a day so I could restart my hours, and will get up Sunday morning and drive the 540 miles over to Gary, IN, and have a fresh start for the delivery on Monday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment