Sunday, May 30, 2010

Memorial Day

This is the time of year that we remember our veterans and those who served and gave the ultimate sacrifice. PFC Hollis A. Cloyd was one and if you haven't read his story you can access here: http://76thdivision.com/indexhac.html

The load I was on coming out of Port Allen, LA they let me drop on the yard in Memphis, TN. I had thought would get a load that could run more, but I ended up picking up a load that delivered only 50 miles from where the Port Allen load was going and only 5 hours earlier at Minooka, IL. Didn't gain much. They gave it to me because it was a Kelloggs load and they didn't have it covered. Big account.

I delivered that load at 11pm Monday night and had to drive 80 miles south to pick up load that needed to be in Memphis the next morning so I ended up running all night. I delivered that load at 10am Tuesday morning and was given another Kelloggs load to pick up when I got off my break that was going to Bethlehem, PA near Allentown. I delivered that one on Friday at noon and picked up a load of bottled water 10 miles away going to Wintersville, Ohio Walmart DC. Delivering that Saturday morning, I crossed back over the river into West Virginia to Wierton and picked up a load of metal going to De Forest, WI near Madison. I delivered that this morning. Going south 20 miles I picked up a load of tomato sauce going to Nashville to deliver on Tuesday morning.

That is my week. Been moving good. Company announced this week that the 500 trucks they have sitting without drivers that they are going to start hiring again. As drivers quit or were let go for various reasons over the last 1 1/2 years they have not been hiring anyone to replace them. After freight has been picking up and after talking to their customers to make sure they were going to be still shipping freight, they decided to get the trucks moving again. Maybe that is a good omen and at least freight is picking up or staying steady.

No comments:

Post a Comment