Saturday, February 27, 2010

Too Cold

Spent the night in Hudson, WI just across from Minnesota. I had stopped here to fuel and then went to bed. I had been adding fuel additive to my tanks the day before to keep fuel from gelling up on me because the temperatures had been around zero even during the day. Even with the truck stops treating their fuel, I don't trust it at the temperature.

I got up the next morning and added my last jug of additive before leaving out because it had gotten down below zero that night and I thought it was supposed to stay in the upper teens. Surprise to me. I took off about 4 am headed east to Indiana and about 50 miles down the road I started bogging down on the hills. I was losing power and on every hill I was dropping 2 extra gears over what I normally would have. I knew pretty quick I had a fuel filter clogging up.

Had to go into a shop to get the filter changed in Tomah, WI (Ft. McCoy is about 20 miles away, where Hollis Cloyd joined up with the 76th Division in August 1942). Sure nuff I had ice crystals stopping the fuel line, the mechanic added additive to clear them out. I had added the fuel additive I had too late and should have put it in when I fueled the night before. Should have watched the weather report closer.

Went on down through Chicago to around Gary, IN and spent the night there. I delivered the load early Friday morning and they had me run over to Valparaiso, IN to pick up product going up to Milwaukee, WI to deliver to a Coca Cola bottling company there at 4pm that afternoon.

Once I delivered that load I ran up the road about 10 mile north of Milwaukee to nearest truck stop. I picked up a load of cans Saturday morning about a mile from where I delivered the load Friday evening going to Dandridge, TN for delivery on Monday morning. They will be used for Bush's Baked Beans there.

Tonight I am in Richmond, KY just south of Lexington, KY. I will stay here until early Monday morning and drive on down to make my delivery. Only in the 20s so maybe can thaw out. Will be high 30s tomorrow, may have to lay out and get a tan.

No comments:

Post a Comment