Saturday, January 16, 2010

Thawing out

It has been a long week. I got down in my back and was too difficult to set up in the evening to type on computer. Probably from cranking on dolly in the cold temperatures, the grease stiffens up in the cold and is hard to crank, well everything stiffens up in those temps. Been in 50s and 60s last couple of days and feels good.

I delivered the load in Kansas and was given a load out of Lawrence, KS going to Kentucky. It was such a rush deal that I didn't figure my available hours very well and did not have the hours to make it to the delivery. I dropped the load on our drop lot in East St. Louis, IL and sat until Monday morning. I went over to pick up a load at Anheuser-Busch in St. Louis going to Queens, NY. Got the load but instead of going to Queens it had an address in the Bronx across the river. I had to send the info on the change of address to dispatch and wait for them to clear it before I could leave with it. That took over a hour waiting on them. I think they just forgot about me until I reminded them and then was told to deliver to address on paperwork, which I already knew.

Over 90% of our customers we have directions for in their system. This one was no exception. Problem is that directions are only as good as the driver who sent them in. I found that this driver was stupid as a rock. I was fortunate that the night before I looked up the place on Google Earth and I drew myself a map and wrote in the main cross streets. If I hadn't done that I would have gotten lost. The directions in the system had me going down Westchester St for 14 blocks and turning left on 156th St. Well about 5 or 6 blocks down the street there was a 11'2" underpass for the subway tracks overhead. I had to make a left turn and hope for the best. Having the map I drew up I was able to catch a cross street going in the direction I needed, and after quite a bit of weaving and trial and error I made it to the customer. The streets in the Bronx are about like San Antonio in getting around. There is no such thing as going around the block. Streets are narrow to start with pedestrians jay walk every where, and I mean a lot of them. Took about a half hour and finally made it to the delivery.

Went up to Milford, CT to pick up a load from Schick Razor going to Atlanta, GA. Was coming back south on I-95 and went around the north side of the city instead of down through the Bronx again since it was 5:30pm.

Delivered in Atlanta on Friday morning and then picked up a load in Athens, GA going back to Allentown, PA area. Drove hard all day and got into Harrisburg, PA in time to settle in for NFL playoffs to begin. Will set here until Monday and have a 1 1/2 hr drive to my delivery.

Will try to post some pictures tomorrow since I have a good signal at this location.

Happy Birthday Mom!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment