Sunday, January 24, 2010

In the South

Delivered in Allentown, PA and then picked up a load of water in Allentown going to Steubenville, OH which was the home town of Dean Martin. From there down to New Concord, OH to pick up a load going down to London, KY that was supposed to be a drop and hook at a Walmart DC as soon as I got there that afternoon. Got in there at 4:30pm and they told me I had a 4:30am appointment that morning. Dispatch didn't even dispatch me to go pick the load up until 8:30am. I was 4 hours late before I even headed down to pick up the load.

They must have needed it because they decided to fit me in, but it took them 4 hours to unload me.

They dispatched me on a load to pick up over in Bowling Green, KY that had a pickup time of 4pm the following day. I went to bed, slept late and went in and had leisurely breakfast the next morning. When I got back out to the truck I had a message the load was ready and to go on in and pick it up because they needed my empty trailer.

I pretripped my truck and trailer and found the trailer had a leak. It was raining hard for the last 3 hours. I was picking up a load of dog food and it didn't need water added so I had to get it repaired. They sent me to a shop in Bowling Green which was a 2 1/2 hour drive away, and when I got there it took the guy about 15 minutes to repair the leaks. They have a tape that works pretty good, even in the rain.

I drove over to pick up the load. The loaded trailer I picked up had a flat. Sent to a tire shop to get that fixed. Finally off and running to Ennis, TX. Made it down to West Memphis, AR that night, which was Wednesday. Next morning made it on into our Wilmer, TX terminal around 3:30pm Thursday and was able to get tractor into the shop for a service. Next morning unloaded in Ennis at 7am. Then to Hawkins, TX on north side of Tyler to pick up another load of water going to Kroger in Memphis, TN for Saturday morning delivery.

From there they deadheaded me 180 miles to McGehee, AR to pick up a load of paper going to Buford, GA. Had to go down a lot of narrow, narrow 2 lane roads. Some only had 9' wide lanes. Difficult with a 8' 6" wide trailer. Especially with the curves thrown in.

Today is Sunday and made it to Villa Rica, GA by noon. Shut down here since very heavy rains, plus wanted to watch games. I get to watch 3 mins and then get no signal for 4 or 5 minutes. This thanks to digital signal. Since that went into effect I can't pick up TV signals anymore unless right under a tower. Something better than nothing, when I do get a signal it is a nice picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment