Sunday, November 8, 2009

I did get a load home from Kansas City. Was to load at 8pm Friday night, they didn't have the load ready until Saturday morning at 6am. The load went to the WalMart DC in Palestine which is 55 miles from the house. I dropped it Sunday morning and headed to the house.



Monday morning I had to spend all day cutting down a dead pine in the back yard. Well wasn't that dead, but it was right next to the storage building in the back yard and if it did get weak and a wind brought it down then it would take out the storage building or at least the fence on two sides of it.

I went out and stood out couple of hundred feet and measured the height of the tree with a stick then laid the stick horizontal to the ground to see how far out the tree would reach. Came within about 10' of the fence near the house. I only had a range of 10' to left or right that I could bring it down without tearing up something.

I drug out the chain saw and filled it up. I walked up to the tree from the direction I wanted it to fall and run my hands down both sides to mark where I wanted to put the "V". Started the "V" and cut it into the tree less than half way through and about 18" up from ground. Once I had it cut I took a sledge hammer and knocked out the wedge of wood. Then I got behind the tree and made a cut downward at a slight angle into the back of the "V". Then the tree dropped right smack down right where I wanted it. Imagine that. It was 72' tall and the top went out right where I thought it would. The limbs even missed the sprinkler head in the yard. Pictures of the tree are below.

Also some pictures of some leaves changing in Illinois, Iowa, Missouri and Tennessee during October.

I just left home Friday with a load out of Houston going to Huntsville, AL with one drop and 2 drops in Nashville, TN for Monday.

2 comments:

  1. Nice job on the tree. It makes your day when a plan comes together. Good description too, I've never seen that done.

    -David.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew how to cut it, but I looked it up on the internet and made sure I wasn't missing anything. I would have preferred putting a come-a-long on it to help it the right direction, but had nothing long enough to tie to it. It helped that it had a slight lean in the right direction, if it hadn't I may have been a sick puppy.

    ReplyDelete