Sunday, December 20, 2009

WI-MI-PA

I delivered my load to Jefferson, WI on Friday morning. I had to drive up from around Springfield, IL to make my 10am appt. Left at 330am. Got there with one hour to spare. Roads were in good condition although it is always hard getting in and out of customers at times because they don't spend as much time cleaning the ice and snow out of their parking lots and docks. When I went to back into their dock I was sitting on ice and there was a 12" high clump of snow and ice in front of the dock door. Backing up I got up against it with my trailer tires about 6" or so from the dock. My tractor tires were spinning on the ice, to get it all the way back I had to pull forward some and get some speed to get up on the ridge of snow. Just caused a problem of slamming the dock really hard because I couldn't stop the momentum.

After getting empty I was sent over to Pleasant Prairie, WI, which is between Milwaukee and Chicago on the state line. I picked up a load of blue trays going to a Pepsi plant in Howell, MI. Got loaded and headed south around Chicago. It is 100 miles from the north side of Chicago around to Gary, IN. Traffic all the way. Had a mixture of snow and rain when I started out and it had stopped about half way down. Made it over near Kalamazoo, MI for then night.

Started out the next morning and was having light snow. The right lane of the freeway was pretty good shape but the left lane was snow and ice covered still. It was 5 am when I left the truck stop. Had another idiot passing me on the ice and just as they got up along side my tractor they lost traction on the ice. I'm sitting here watching this joker starting to slip my way backing off my accelerator and moving over right on to the icy shoulder, he steers right, then back left, right, left .... back ass wards in the ditch. OOPS! Missed me, all I care about. Two miles down the road they had both lanes cleared off...impatience and stupidity strikes again.

Delivered the load to Pepsi, then over to Grand Rapids, MI to pick up a load going to near Allentown, PA. Blizzard (nor'easter) coming right up I-95. Those are fierce ones coming out of the south like that. We experienced a couple of those before back in the 90s. I came all the way across I-80 this morning in Pennsylvania and was wet/dry roads all the way.

I'm stopped north of Allentown about 50 miles and will wait until Monday morning until dispatch tells me what my appointment time is. Seems they didn't get it set over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment